Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Colorado

We went to Colorado before Christmas for my grandmother's 90th birthday. We had a lot of fun there. My grandma is doing great. I'm pretty sure there will be a 100th birthday party.

Here are a few pictures:

Sledding
We went sledding in Rocky Mountain National Park. Matthew LOVED sledding. He laughed most of the way down the mountain. We got several runs in, before the snow got heavy and we had to leave.
Rocky Mountain National Park
Jeni, Matthew, Sara
Sean, Matthew, Sara
How to push a stroller on the snow









The Party
We had a party where we were able to take family pictures and catch up. A while ago when I went to my sister's wedding, my Uncle George told me I should look up my cousin's blog. I had only met him a couple times growing up. I looked up his family blog and have gotten to know them better through the internet. It's been fun meeting family through technology. Sean refers to them as my "internet family." It was nice to finally meet them in person.

With Great-Grandma Irma
My side of my immediate family that made it (missing 2 sisters and a brother)
Great-Grandma and Matthew (Matthew's middle name Richmond is after her father)
My "internet family"
Sean teaching Matthew about assuming his "usual party position"







The Zoo
We also went to the zoo. It was cold, but we had the whole zoo to ourselves and hade a great time. We had a cool experience with the orangatang. Most the animals were indoors because of the cold. We were in the ape house and there were two areas, one for the gorrillas and one for the orangatangs. The gorrillas were very active so everyone was watching them. There was only one orangatang in the orangatang habitat and it was hiding way in the back...not interested in human interaction at all. Matthew needed to eat so I went over by the orangatang to nurse him where it was quieter. The orangatang watched me for a while and then Matthew started crying. It quickly came out of its hiding place and went directly over to me and put it's face right up against the glass to look at the baby. I propped him up to see it and they just stared at eachother for quite a while. Later we read the plaque about the orangatang and at said that she was female and loved children. It was really neat to see her maternal instincts kick in when she heard a baby cry.

The Zoo!!!
Cousins
The orangatang comforting Matthew (sorry it's blurry)
I just liked Alex's face in the back
The family with the elephants (the elephant was literally banging on the door because it wanted outside...it had to dry from it's bath before it could go out)

The Visit
One of the highlights of our trip was visiting our friends Kristin and Isaac. They moved to CO and we were (are) very sad. It was really great to see them and have the kids play together. (Their son Jake is who Sara was getting comfy with in the post below.)

9 comments:

mom2cherreys said...

That is so cute about the monkey! Looks like you guys had a great trip!

The Buckingham Family said...

Hi from your "internet family" LOL

That was a great post...we had a lot of fun with you all here!

~Natalie

Our Ohana said...

Great pictures!!! My favorite is the one in the snow with those beautiful, rosy cheeks your kids have! I love what cold weather does to young faces!
- Sara xx

Michelle said...

It's always nice to catch up with you and your siblings! Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos of your beautiful family. I'm so glad you had a such a great visit.

Rick said...

What a great trip! I am glad you guys had a good time. I love the picture of Sean and Matthew sleeping. It is priceless!

Elisa said...

I love the snow pictures! I am amazed that you took little Matthew sledding!

Matt and Becky said...

Looks like fun.....I can't believe how big your little man is. Siena is almost one-can you believe that? Where does the time go!!

Paul/Heather said...

FUN!
Love your chunky boy. YUM!

AZ Allreds said...

So close, yet so far! Dang girl...we need to get together...I'm turning 30...if we throw a party will you come? He he. By the way, I think all men have the party position down -- the best way to endure crowds and family...sleep through it with the excuse that you were getting the baby to sleep too. I need to get that down, except I am a gabber.