Matthew fell funny on his leg on a Sunday evening and couldn't walk. We decided to let him sleep on it and see how he was in the morning. He still couldn't walk even after some pretty extensive bribing so I brought him to see the Orthopedic doctor. Nothing showed up on the X-Ray and I was feeling like maybe it was a mistake to bring him, but he couldn't walk and winced a little when the MD pressed above his ankle, so she put a half-leg cast him.
Everyone commented that it must be warmer out because they are starting to see a lot more child injuries.
It took him about 3 days to walk consistently on it, but after that it didn't slow him down at all. When we brought him back 3 weeks later to take the cast off they took another X-Ray. The doctor said he had in fact broken it, but the X-Ray showed the brake just under his knee close to his growth plate. So basically the brake was at the top of his cast or just above it. I asked the doctor if it had done anything. She said that if she had seen the brake in the original X-Ray she would have put a full leg cast on him but that kid's heal pretty much no matter what they do. Not totally comforting. She also said that with the brake being this close to his knee there is a possibility that his knee could turn in. So she wants to see him again in 6 months and if I notice anything before then I'm supposed to bring him in right away.
 |
| Signing the cast |
 |
| Throwing Rocks on a little hike |
 |
| Getting ready to take it off |
No comments:
Post a Comment