Wednesday, February 20, 2013

We LOVE to be a family!

We LOVE Valentine's Day at our house. In fact, ever since Lily learned about it a year ago, whenever she gives some one something, she says "Happy Valentine's Day!" This year we decided to start an Annual "We LOVE to be a family day". Sean and I brainstormed some simple activities our family likes to do together and then picked a few of them and made a little treasure map. We turned over a heart to find out what our next activity would be and we fit them in around the other things we were doing that day like swimming lessons and a few errands. Saturday is usually our clean the house day, but the kids were SO excited to have our "we love to be a family" day that they all worked hard to get their jobs done Friday night so we didn't have to waste any time cleaning on Saturday.

The kids got ready for the day, found the map and we turned over the first heart
We started with a trip to get donuts at a little diner where they make specialty donuts. Lily got a gigantic glazed donut in the shape of a pretzel, Sara got a fruit loops, Daddy got a canoli donut, I got a blueberry filled, and Matthew stuck to the basics with a chocolate glazed.

Next on the list was NERF FIGHT!!!! We started with some amazing James Bond moves

then we moved on to duels

and finished with target practice

Heart Number 3 had us making cards for some families at church

Heart number 4 was play a board game



The next heart was SUPER exciting. It said "Ding Dong Ditching" We took our cards and taped them on some bread I had made the day before and delivered them. Sara and Sean got the first house

Here's Matthew making his getaway from the second

The 6th heart was a special surprise for Daddy. A couple weeks ago I happened upon this store that I knew he would love. It's been KILLNG me not to tell him about it. We went inside Pittsford Lumber and it was everything he loves - old woodworking hand tools, exotic wood, lots of character. We'll definitely be going back here for more than just looking around.

The lumber store was conveniently located next to the Erie Canal which was perfect for our next activity - BUBBLES!!!!!!!! (I had actually planned the bubbles for after the lumber store in case the kids were bored at the store we could blow bubbles while Daddy looked around. But they loved the store as much as Sean)





Next on the list was the LEGO store! We played with the legos in the store and even filled a bucket from the wall of legos.

We got home turned over heart number 9. PIG PILE!!!!!

We ended with a Retro movie night and showed the old Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the kids. Sara and Lily liked it, but Matthew was just distraught. I asked him what was wrong and he said he didn't like the kids not listening and then bad things happened to them. He covered his ears in agony as Mr. Wonka and Grandpa Joe yelled at each other at the end and was just crying so hard at the end we had to read some Star Wars books to calm him down before bed.
Can't wait for next year!

5 comments:

Missletoe said...

Most fun ever! I want to come next year!

Jared and Andrea said...

What an amazing idea! I totally want to steal it. Wish I lived closer so we'd have a chance at being ding dong ditched. Awesome!

Maria Olsen said...

What a fun idea/tradition!

KC said...

how sweet! I love to be a family too!

Jenna said...

(second attempt to comment :) )
SO fun! You guys are an awesome family!